News and Events

Keep up to date with the latest news and events of Modular Bikes.

Thursday, February 4, 2021

Fixing 50 Bikes Project: Bike 2

 

Done!

Supergluing a washer from the shed in place as a gearchanger cover

Neat cable runs....

include no gearcables under the downtube or bottom bracket. That's great and it means its easy to fit the bike into my maintenance stand.

Found a matching! set of v-brakes which replaced....

This old set with old style pads which were on the bike.

A few cable ends from wecycle. A minor catastophe on the way home, this case came open and all the ends got strewn around my tailbox.

The bell and saddle were from wecycle and the noodle from the shed. Didn't end up using the other parts, the shifters ended up being ok.

Almost at the start but I had already swapped the crank and pedals over at this stage.


Hi, this is the second bike I've fixed in this series.  I picked it up from the Wecycle shed last Sunday, and "it chose me", just by being in poor condition (at least a crook back wheel and derailleur loose) and not piled up behind other bikes. 

Fixing wasn't too hard. The crankset had been the horrible steel coated plastic type. There was lots of cleaning to do and it took me a while to work out the brakes were crook with the retraction spring mechanism not working. The chain looked a bit tired, and I'd considered replacing it, but putting it next to a new chain, it turned out to be the same length. So I just lubed it and it works ok.

This morning I took it for a test ride adn did some shopping. As well, I'd spotted an abandoned kid's bike in the neighbourhood, but it had gone by the time I got back there.


From (Place and Date, Comment): Wecycle, St. Georges Road Northcote, Jan 31, 2021. Peter Kelly had brought it in.

Make model and size: Apollo Peak MTB Sport, 26" wheel mountain bike.

Parts used to fix: 

Recycled from Wecycle: Seat, Cable ends

New from Wecycle: Bell.

Recycled or new from my shed: Rear wheel, complete V-brake set, brake noodle, crankset, big washer for gearshifter repair, derailleur bolt.

To (Place and Date, Comment): Wecycle shed, ?????

No comments:

Post a Comment