News and Events

Keep up to date with the latest news and events of Modular Bikes.

Monday, January 6, 2020

Buckley's Ride 2020

The ride map from Ride with GPS
New camera used for this ride is the Canon Ixus (top),  its more compact than the Olympus so I could carry it in my top pocket.
At the start, Audax organiser Sarah provides a briefing

Another photo from the start
Rick Harker near Altona on his Cattrike Musahi, note hat in sunvisor mode.

Rick Harker behind a small mob near Altona

Past Altona
GPS in action on the road to the You-Yangs outside Werribee
Rick Harker past Geelong
Rick on the Ferry, note hat in mudguard mode, he had been soaked by back wheel spray.
My trike back in Albert Park.

As I have done for a few years now, I've taken part in the Audax Australia's Buckley's Ride. It was only yesterday, and I was happy with how it went.  I'd acquired a fairing during the year and although I was using it on an Audax ride for the first time, I had ridden with it for 200k's plus a few weeks ago so was quite ready to try it out again.

And I think it worked well.  There was light rain all the way to the ferry in Queenscliffe, and the fairing helped keep that off me and I was able to leave my rain jacket in the luggage compartment.  I kept up with a small pelleton to the outskirts of Altona, and then I had to stop for a pee, so lost them for 30k or so till near Lara when I overtook them.  I didn't stop except to pee and get food from the back of the bike till Queenscliffe and a few people overtook me but in general, I was on track to catch the midday ferry with a few minutes to spare.  This meant there was no particular exertion to catch the ferry.

Had a good chat over lunch with Rick Harker on the ferry which had most of the Buckley's riders on board.  Over in Sorrento I took it fairly easy but was gradually thinking of a planned finishing time mainly as motivation to get me over the hills between Dromana and Frankston. There was a tailwind, and it wasn't too bad.  I am slow up hills!

Anyway, the cool weather helped and and I was able to combine a bit of energy with a reasonably fast but heavy bike to get back at my target time, doing the ride in just under 11 hours for the 217k, an average of 19.7kph and much faster than the 15kph required for Audax completion. Last year I did the same ride 45 minutes slower. Can't really say whether the difference was due to training, the weather or a better bike, but I was glad to have the fairing on board.

A few things could have been improved. If I'm going to have muesli bars in the front storage area, they should be pre-unwrapped. Not much fun and quite hard to do this while riding.  Some sort of spray deflector for the front would be good. I was getting spray on my glasses making things blurry. Or I could take them off and have dirt-laden water in my eyes, and a deflector or mudguard might have helped.

Thanks to Sarah and Audax for organising the ride and good riding weather (Very hot 40C+ weather is just as likely this time of year). I look forward to receiving the new bling and modelling a surround for it. Will report on that when the time comes, and I guess I will need to do another 200 to get the other bling type on offer.

Best Wishes

Steve Nurse

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Wheel Discs

3d printed parts
Thin clear tape is used....
to hold them to the rim, these 2 are close spaced near the valve hole,

....... and this is the complete setup.
Corflute screwed to orange 3d printed bosses
Tape added
Tape trimmed and rolled over inside the rim.
Added and taped the other side. This shows the bomb door for valve access which can be screwed shut and taped over.
Training ride: single speed bike in Lorne after training ride from Airies Inlet.  There were a few bikes on the road and I passed none of them. Bike is my brother's, frame bag is my son Ewan's.

Ewan , Phoebe, Johnny, Christine and Oscar the dog kicked back and played the quite complicated game Photosynthesis while I made the wheel thingies.

Hi, As mentioned last time, I planned to make some wheel covers, and this post shows the finished parts. Quite happy with the result, I will have to wait and see how they go. I designed the 3d printed parts at home using Solidworks, then printed them on my Cetus 3d printer.

As well as make stuff for the bike, I actually did some training this morning and rode to Lorne on my brother's single speed clunker which is about a 40k round trip.
Best Wishes, Regards

Steve Nurse

Here is a pic of the trike with the wheels on at the boulevarde in Kew. This was one of the 5 or 6 cyclists I could outpace on the road which consists of rolling hills next to the Yarra. Managed three laps or about 50k as a training ride.