News and Events

Keep up to date with the latest news and events of Modular Bikes.

Saturday, February 19, 2022

Fixing Bike 49, Malvern Star



There wasn't much wrong with this bike when it came from our helper Jill. It came with bike 43 I think. Work on upgrading included spraying handlebars black, regreasing the bottom bracket and front wheel and a general clean.

With several other bikes to fix at home, I took the line of least resistance and moved it on by giving it away on the Clifton Hill Good Karma network facebook page. Once adverised it only lasted about 20 min out the front.

Closing in on my target of 50 bikes repaired! Regards  Steve Nurse

PS, its take as well as give, here is a guitar being picked up from the same network a few days ago.


Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Fixing the recumbent bike part 3, trike to bike conversion


First trip after rebirth, to the grog shop of course.

Jigging to hold nut in place before it is brazed on. A nut at each end stops the red spacers from sliding.

Rear fork assembly.

All put together

2 rear frames of bike. there are 4 altogether, front fork, front frame, mid frame and rear fork.

Rear wheel on

Switcheroo from trike

to bike without tailbox to bike with tailbox as shown below. Note mud marks from 2 trike wheels on tailbox.

2nd trip on new bike. Our local Facebook Good Karma Network advertised this for free, and I was quick to head out the door to snap it up. It will replace one stolen from the Wecycle bike shed where I volunteer.




Managed to ride the recumbent bike today. I have been repairing and hopefully improving it since it broke 5 weeks ago . There is still a bit of work to go on this part of the resto, after which I hope to refurb and make new some tailboxes.

Plan to paint the rear fork, fit lights to the dyno hub, and add some fairings to the rear wheel frame. As always, will report more later.


Steve Nurse

Holland Bike


As found. It is a classic barn find bike except I found it under a nearby railway bridge,

complete with vegetation growing

through the back wheel.

Mid surgery. Cotter pins were a write-off.

Working!  I took it for a ride like this, riding 2 bikes at once and delivering one of them (the Uptown) to Wecycle as a free bike for the needy. Back brake only fitted. It stops the bike. Glacially!

At my new work, back2bikes. I sourced the new back wheel from the back2bikes dumpster. Cotter pins were from Wecycle, and replacement spokes from De Ver. Spokes represented the entire budget for the bike sofar. $6.00!


This is my latest bike project. I don't collect every bike I see abandoned in the area but a fair few! Anyway, this Holland has been one of the latest, and maybe its a keeper. The back wheel and cotter pins were write-offs, with the back wheel badly buckled and spokes stuck hard to spoke nipples, and cotter pin threads stripped.

Anyway in a sort-of treasure hunt process I managed to find the right bits to fix it. Might fit a rack, and make a chainguard. The one found with it is a complete piece of crap, suitable only as a garden ornament.


Steve Nurse

Monday, February 7, 2022

Fixing the recumbent bike part 2


Jigging the rear fork

Wheel removed, ready for the next lot of brazing

Small magnets and red 3d printed housings.

Decided to use the head of allen bolts as the retainer, the diameter was right. Couldn't find a washer the right size and didn't want to drill any bigger.

Turning off the end of the allen bolt to make a washer.


Have been working on the rear fork of my bike over the last few days, and here are the progress pics. In general I am avoiding drilling of the for something that led to its predecessor's demise.


Steve Nurse

Evening update: A few more photos of progress below. The suspension blocks are now secured to the fork with positioning washers on the fork and holding magnets on the blocks.

There's still some work to do:

3d printed spacers to keep the fork tongue in the same plane as the frame, and suspension blocks from rotating.

Edge on rear fork to ensure generator wire runs smoothly for frame

Pin on fork to secure it in frame.

I will adapt an aluminium frame to suit the new fork but that will be not much work.

Almost done

Suspension block is

secured by magnets and pinned in place by a braze on washer.

2 suspension blocks made this way, this is the front one.

Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Fixing the recumbent bike part 1


Some hand sawn horseshoe shaped washers bolted in place to

rework the rear fork I had made previously. Central square parts are thicker mild steel, replacing thin chromolly.

After brazing the horseshoe washers in each side, I filled in the inside of the slot with part of an old bolt. This is the clamping before brazing.

The dropouts part of the fork is done. Still a bit more to do till the whole fork is complete though.


For a week or so I've been reworking and renewing the rear fork on my recumbent bike. It broke, and fixing it became part of my bike plans for the year.

Anyway, I'm well into the fixing process, and am quite happy with results sofar. I should be able to rebuild the rear fork without drilling into it which I'm pleased about. Last time the fork broke at least partly due to stress concentrations from drilling.

 For the rebuild I have ordered some magnets to hold the rubber suspension blocks on with. They are coming soon and I will report.

Regards Steve Nurse