News and Events

Keep up to date with the latest news and events of Modular Bikes.

Sunday, January 31, 2021

Fixing 50 Bikes Project


Old Chain, very rusty and stiff

Some of the parts from the bike shed, old pedals, handgrips, bell.

Almost finished

Bit of a problem this one! I found out this freehub body is removable but couldn't find any compatible parts. After swapping parts in and out a few times I settled on replacing the wheel and cluster with ones from Wecycle. I showed a few others how to do this, but they didn't find compatible parts or get to fix any wheels either. Update Feb 11: by washing the freehub body in mineral turpentine, I was able to get the clutch inside working. I reassembled the wheel and was able to donate it in working condition to wecycle.


For a while I have been fixing bikes for Wecycle, and most of this has been ignored as far as this blog is concerned. But I was speaking to a coworker and said that I guessed I fixed 50 bikes in a year for Wecycle, and if they went to people who need them that was a worthwhile contribution. But I don't actually know if I've fixed 50 bikes because I never counted them.

So now I thought, stuff it, I'll count them and document them, and where the parts come to fix them.

Bike Number 1

From (Place and Date, Comment): Sackville Street Kew, Jan 12. 2021

Make model and size: Giant Upland SE, 26" wheel mountain bike.

Parts used to fix: 

Recycled from Wecycle: Pedals, rear wheel, seatpost, seat, rear reflector, 4 brake pads

New from Wecycle: Chain, handgrips, bell.

Recycled or new from my shed: Cable ends.

To: Wecycle shed, Jan 30, 2021

Comments: I shortened a few of the cables and by doing that was able to tidy up some of the cable ends. The bike scrubbed up and rode ok. I quite like the seatpost. It looks good and lifts the appearance of the whole bike.

Spider-infested gearchanger before cleaning

No comments:

Post a Comment