News and Events

Keep up to date with the latest news and events of Modular Bikes.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Death of a Pair of Trousers

Sam had painted the bunk bed seat out the front, which led to
this......

and this.....
and this trike being painted.

How the trike works, video of the same trike style is here.
Tailbox detail.

Back view

Ventisit screwed down. The screw and washer are grey, and just visible through the mesh.  But the screw poked out the other side which....
ripped my already slightly old....

pair of trousers but......

inadvertently started a new fashion trend.

Sharp bits of screws removed with angle grinder (circled in blue)

Hi

A few weeks ago, our painter Sam made a good job of varnishing the seat I had made out of a bunk bed. She'd sanded it, then painted it 3 times with varnish, and it went from a dull to gleaming over the course of a few days.  This painting set such a good example that the condition of other bits of timber (including one of my trikes) around the joint became embarrassing.  On one of my excursions I bought the same type of varnish from a nearby paint shop, and then set about painting things, first the table out the front, then a trolley out the back, and finally one of my trikes.

The trike involved a bit of a switcheroo, I stole a tailbox lid from a kit I haven't built up yet, swapped an all-wooden seat over to a trike with a wooden steerer, and also took things apart so I could paint them properly.  This included the Ventisit / ACS10 seat pad.  When I put the seat pad back, I hid some of the holding screws under the Ventisit, and unfortunately, this meant a bit of screw poked out the bottom.

Yes, the sharp bit!  And when riding the next day, I accidentally started a new fashion trend, ripping some jeans tears at the back below the knee.  This was caused by getting on and off the bike and scraping the pants with the pointy end of the screw.

Now a tear-at the-back-of-jeans-above-the-knee had its moment in the sun at some of last years fashion parades, but that faded quite quickly.  However, I am sure the rip-at-the-back-of-jeans-below-the-knee thing will come into style, and endure like the black T-shirt, the pink sock and the desert boot.

So the ripped jeans might be fixed and reserved for the mankiest of jobs, or become a rag, and I fixed the bottom of the bike seat by removing the sharp bits with an angle grinder so no more jeans will be ripped and die, and really I'm not totally into fashion!

Regards

Steve Nurse

No comments:

Post a Comment