News and Events

Keep up to date with the latest news and events of Modular Bikes.

Saturday, April 13, 2019

New trike on the road

Setup for changed seat post

Marking up the new seatpost

Sawing the new seatpost

Seatpost mostly finished

Bike mostly finished,

And after a few test runs

Front view
Seat mount detail
After a blocky, photo Christine Nurse


A few months after receiving some parts from Emona , I have finished the bike they were intended for, at least for the time being.  In the last week, I have replaced the first have-a-go seatpost with a new one, slightly longer and sloping to the back more to be more in compression than the previous one.  I started by chocking up the seat with a bit of frame material which was about the right amount from my estimates to put it on the right slope.  I measured up a new seatpost from that setup, then drilled, sawed and filed it out. 

And its all done now making my count of running bikes of this type 3, or about 1 too many for me to have.  2 is fine, I can be modding one while the other is still on the road.

The carbon fibre prints are great, but the design isn't perfect, and there are a few angles, features and distances to adjust.  If I redid the parts, it might be made with glass fibre, not carbon fibre, that could  be cheaper and still strong enough. I see these parts as a bit of a crack to ways of supporting hardshell seats on rectangular frames, and I might have a go at making a mount using some metal parts and my home 3d printer.

Meanwhile a bit of pootling on the internet has found whole bike frames being made using this carbon fibre printing method.  The world is a new place.


Steve Nurse

No comments:

Post a Comment