News and Events

Keep up to date with the latest news and events of Modular Bikes.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Klapprad Culture not Dead

My Mazda 121 on return from Carrum Downs with 6 various folding and shopper Bikes
Just when I thought crappy folding (Klapprad) bike culture was dead, I used a Google Image Search on "Klapprad" to find this site which seeks to prove that folding bike culture is actually alive and that despite rumours to the contrary, Germans have a sense of humour. And a couple of clicks away is this site, dedicated to making a bike from an Ikea chair.

To keep my own personal exploration of folding bike culture going, on Sunday I bought 6 of them from "Darren's No Guts No Glory Auctions" through ebay.  Yesterday (Monday) I went down to pick them up.  I was somewhat unprepared but Darren helped me out and gave me a rope to tie down the boot on the frame of a Ricardo shopping bike, and somehow everything was jammed in. (Thanks Darren)  But wait!  When I got back in the car, one of the bikes was getting in the way of the gearstick so I had to do some rearrangements.  Eventually got on the way, no incidents on the way home.  An inventory revealed 2 Repcos, A Ricardo shopper, a slightly battered Dahon, a Toyosha and a Malvern Star shopper.  A similar, older post about buying bikes is here and a recent photo of the National bike I bought back then is here.

Fortunately we have misplaced the key to the side door so my wife Christine can't open it.  If we had a key, any attempt to open it would fail, there are lots of old bikes stacked up there.  Hopefully it is not all one-way traffic, I have this folding and this recumbent bike on ebay now.  So c'mon, help keep the love moving and bid!

All for now, Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment