News and Events

Keep up to date with the latest news and events of Modular Bikes.

Tuesday, July 21, 2026

New Bike: The Rear Frame

Measuring up the frame - this is getting the size for the front part.


Marking the frame centreline for drilling the headtube holes


 
Drilling the head tube bearing holes

And filing them.......

 

and done - well one side at least.



Rounding the front part of the frame. I did it manually for the most part but used an angle grinder at the end.

3D printed frame separators and M8 Tee Nuts

Transferring positions from the back part of the frame to the front for drilling small holes.


The cool tool! The front bolt keeping the frames together is a low-profile M8 allen bolt because clothing gets caught in it if it is a higher bolt. I put the tool to undo it into the other bolt which is underneath the bike.

Rear bottom bracket assenbly consists of YST bottom bracket, 2 custom castings, 2 spacer bars and 2 spacer bar retaining studs.

 
Ta Da.....

The.......

Finished Frame

 As mentioned in my last post, I have been building a bike for a few days now. I'm trying to document it in some detail but I do have bits and pieces of old bike around which lets me skip forward a few steps. For this 2-part rear frame, I had most of the back part built and only needed to saw an end off, drill a few small holes and fit parts. But I made the front part from scratch, and this involved marking positions for, hole sawing and filing holes for the head tube bearings.

This work was fun and not too hard, about 10 hours work in getting this made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment