News and Events

Keep up to date with the latest news and events of Modular Bikes.

Sunday, August 18, 2019

Short Trip to East Melbourne

Good even footpaths on the Wellington St. Bikepath.

Looking South along Wellington

Some finishing touches

Tony with the trove of fixies and bike bits.

My haul

The wheels
Hi

A few days ago, I needed some washers so headed out along Wellington Street to Bunnings: a large hardware chain store about 5k from where we live. It was great to find a separated bike lane which runs along Wellington St had been extended to Johnston St making for a 2k bike freeway in the inner city.  As well, I saw a pile of old bikes on hard rubbish and resolved to check them out on the way back. That would give me the opportunity to take some pics as well.

But when I got back, the bikes were already being picked over by Tony who I'd met before through various bike sheds. Tony claimed the whole bike on offer, and I settled for his leftovers, 2 wheels, carbon handlebars with some bits and a large steel frame. It wasn't far to get home and I was fairly cautious but managed to pedal most of the way.  One of the wheels was set up as a single speed with aero spokes and rim and was broken and a bit of a shocker. To me the flange spacing at the rim was way too narrow. Ok, I will put my boring engineer's hat away!

Nice bike lanes with plenty of good features for pedestrians as well as cyclists. Here is the Yarra webpage on the project. Good job!

Regards  Steve Nurse


No comments:

Post a Comment