News and Events

Keep up to date with the latest news and events of Modular Bikes.

Friday, April 27, 2018

Fancy Pants Recumbent Bike Pedal Hack

Parts removed from pedals for reflectors about 70g .......

And new parts added about 50g

Pedal on trike, note the red dot of bling at the top of the pedal which was.....


drawn as a sketch on paper, then on Solidworks, then.....

3d printed and pressed into the pedal.  The part goes into the hole previously occupied by cleat adjustment screw.  Bottom left is a few of the parts as they came off the 3d printer, complete with raft.

Hi

After making some pedal reflectors for my trike yesterday, I decided to have another go at making some today. As I said previously, making them using timber seemed possible.

The timber I've used for each pedal is a 140mm length of 12mm x 30mm Pawlonia, which is very light, even for timber.  I found some clipless pedals to modify in the shed, removed the clips from one side and put a timber-mounted reflector back on.  There was a small hole left by part of the previous mechanism and I decided to fill it with a custom 3d printed part.  The pedals (timber and aluminium with red plastic highlights) now match with the trike materials.  And their is no gramage damage (weight penalty) as the parts being replaced weigh more than the new parts.

I'm selling this trike on ebay and I will be visiting the Handmade Bike Show on Sunday and hopefully get it (and the blingy pedals) seen by a few discerning punters then.

Regards, Steve Nurse

Update April 29

Today I went in to a custom bike show and saw a pair of anti-reflective wooden pedals, some wood pieces serving as a platform where a reflector might have been. Mind you these are on super-looking plywood bikes by David Murphy so all is forgiven!

And I also attached some loop-reflective-velcro-strip to my clip-in cycling shoes, which I basically wear all the time.  They happen to have an exposed black loop velcro patch in a good spot. That's because I got rid of the strap that normally uses the patch after a few problems.  Anyway, the reflective velcro attaches easily and is hidden away under my trouser cuff when I'm walking which is a bit of a bonus.

Pics Below, Regards

Steve Nurse

Anti-reflective pedal by David Murphy........

ok, they're on this bike so its probably ok!  With a friend from Monash Uni, Derek Gurban who does some work for David Murphy Plycycles.

Reflective Velcro on MTB Shoes.....

Close Up.....

and (warning, boring photo alert) hidden away under trouser cuffs.




No comments:

Post a Comment